Tuesday, October 31, 2006

image essay #9


This is a piece by Brandon Boyd from the band Incubus. Brandon is more of a musician then an artist, but having listened to his music and following Incubus for a while now, I have become very intrigued by not only Brandon’s but also Jose’s art as well. Jose plays drums for Incubus, while Brandon does vocals and plays a little percussion along side of this.

I thought this piece was particularly interesting, because it’s very well balanced and there’s enough going on I find myself staring at it for a rather long time. I was moved by the way he chose to position the arms. And the way he positioned the feet, in that the one is up while the other is balancing the elephant. This simple black and white makes you focus more on the detail then anything else. When looking at the face closely you can notice an Aum or a Hindu symbol for a peaceful state of mind, serenity. I thought this was a clever way to further elaborate the meaning Brandon is trying to get across.

I am inspired by Incubus in so many aspects, not only music, but also art, philosophy, and motivation. I thought it only fair that I give one of his pieces of art some sort of gratitude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home